Friday, January 05, 2007

Too Close to Home

Disturbing night in Beverly Hills. We were sitting in the den watching "The Office", when I noticed a cop car drive by. When two more cops followed him, we had our noses to the window wondering what was happening in our normally quiet neighborhood.
The police went down the driveway of our next-door neighbor's house, spoke for a moment, before they all headed to the house on the other side (2 doors down from us). More cops arrived and the Crime Scene unit. The firetrucks and the ambulance that had been idling up the street left. Suzy and I actually took Buddy out for a stroll in an effort to talk to the police but they were all gathered at the front door of the house, I didn't think it was a good idea to get too close in case there was something we should not see.
I finally called the neighborhood "know it all" to see what she knew, a little while later she called back with the story.
It seems our 88 year old widowed neighbor committed suicide. He stuck a gun in his mouth and ended his life on New Years Day. I'm a bit bothered by this. Is there something I could have done? What if we had invited him to come over and spend time with us during the holidays, would that have made a difference? What if I had stopped by and took him cookies? (like I had planned to do this year but never got around to) I didn't know him well at all. Sure, I had waved at him from time to time when we passed on the road but I was always too busy to stop and say anything more. Who knew the little old man just two doors down was going through such depression that he did not want to live anymore?
I guess the lesson learned is, stop and say hello to your neighbors, especially the elderly. Let them know that they are not forgotten. Show them you care with a conversation (even if it is only small talk).
I hope he has found peace.

No comments: